Friday, March 18, 2005

manang



she is joy to others. manang to me. now a mother of a beautiful girl. she is my best friend. was always there when i had nothing. was always available when i needed company. willing to cook. willing to listen. willing to serve. she washed my clothes. she laughed at my jokes. she lent an ear to hear my stories. night after night of story telling, she never showed boredom. she was a conversationalist.

i went to college as a struggling student. fried chicken was a luxury then. manang, nanay lory and tatay japs, opened the door of their house for me to eat whatever was available in their table. i ended up staying in their house more often than in my boarding house. when i was hungry, they fed me. when i was cold, they provided me shelter. when i was bored, they provided me company. i slept in their house. i bathed in their bathroom. and yes, manang washed my clothes for me. i gave her coke.

what made their lives so amazing is that they are not rich but their door was widely opened to accommodate me. the poor embracing the poor. where were the rich people then when we needed them? maybe they were busy enriching themselves. but the poor in wealth is rich in heart. i'd rather be with them. God bless them.

what i have become now, manang and her family will always be a part of it. by the way, i have now a washing machine in my house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Breastmilk is still best for babies up to expiration date."

bo said...

hey kikiam, youre right. youve been into breast milk ano? gulaman juice nala.